Vibration Afterthought

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:29:10 -0500

"The Walrus" <walrusx4@maine.rr.com> wrote:

  > ...I need an alignment or something of that flavor, and perhaps
  > that is why my tire is out of round or something. I've been driving
  > on a new matching tire on the front for about 9000 miles

Just so I understand, you've got one decrepit tire and one brandy-new tire on
the front (drive) axle? That alone can be the cause for a variety of handling
woes. As a general rule of thumb, you want to replace tires in pairs - both
sides on the same axle and the same time, unless the tire that's not being
replaced is practically brand new too.

Replace the bad tire ASAP, so the newer tire doesn't wear much longer, get a
4-wheel alignment, and see how things feel.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss