Falken Azenis RS review

dale863@bellsouth.net dale863@bellsouth.net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:28:32 -0500

Back to the list after a long hiatus.  Anyway, just wanted to post some of my
findings regarding the new Azenis RS tires.

I've been running YOKO AO32r's at driving events/track days and have had decent
luck with them.  I wanted something comparable and I loved the low price of the
Azenis.

Location:  Gateway International Raceway PCA/BMW driving event July 2002

Wet Traction:  It rained Friday morning and the track stayed wet until the
lunch break.  The Azenis handled the wet as well as the AO32R's if not
better.

Dry Traction:  The Azenis handled as well as the AO32r's if not better.  They
howled a little bit more than the YOKO's, but not bad.  I actually began to
like the howl as it was a tell tale sign that the tires were reaching their
limit.  Very communicative tires and very sticky in the dry.  The tires broke
away very gently and predictably much like the AO32r's (which is basically why
I run tires like these instead of full race tires - plus I'm cheap!)

Longevity:  The track was green all day Friday.  I hammered on the Azenis all
morning in the wet & all afternoon in the dry.  Put on a total of 180 miles on
Friday.

Ran another 180 miles in the dry Saturday & Sunday for a total of 360 hard on-
track miles for the weekend.  The tires held up very well.  No chunking and
there is 3/32 tread left (8/32 new).

Bottom Line:  Phenomenal track tire for the money.  It's the only tire I'll be
running until something better or cheaper comes along!

As a side note, I'm always amazed at how well the SE-R handles with the current
suspension setup. AGX's/GC/Eibach (300/200), GC camber plates at max camber and
caster, ST sway bars, OBX front strut bar, ES poly bushings.  AGX's set at 4 up
front 5 in the rear.  What a great suspension for the money!

Dale Hinson - 91 Classic