one observation and question about oil filters

Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:13:19 -0500

>does the shortness of the filter effect the efficiency of said filter?

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Oil filtration depends on AREA of the filter medium,
usually paper.  The medium is folded into pleats and rolled into a tube shape
before being encased in the filter housing.  More paper can be fitted into a
given diameter tube my creating more pleats.  So, by manipulating pleating, you
can get the same filtration in a smaller package.

Now, as to if that's the case with the K&N filter, I have no idea.  There are
several Web pages with filter disembowelment comparisons including one performed
at a Houston Geekout.  You'll need to buy a spare K&N filter to cut apart and
compare to a known filter, like Fram or Nissan.

Bruce in Houston running Mobil 1 filter