A/C Stops Working

Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:43:36 -0500

>I just got home from going to New Orleans from Houston.  I've noticed that
>after 3 hrs of straight driving going to New Orleans, the AC seems to stop
>working properly.  The air is still pretty cool (not cold).  You can hear
>the fans running at max speed when i set the fan switch to "4", but there's
>just a tiny bit of air coming out of the vents.

The first thing to check is the refrigerant level.  If you are low on
refrigerant, the gas expands too much and the cooling coil temperature
drops below freezing causing the water condensing on the coil to freeze and
block off the air flow.  When it sits for awhile, the ice thaws and the
coil opens up again to air flow.  If you run the fan without the A/C on, it
will speed up the thawing process.

Jerry Kloth
'97 at 203K miles