Brake problems (VERY LONG)

Christian Beaudry christian.beaudry@fleetmind.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:31:27 -0500

Im a noob when it comes to working on cars, so please bear with me.

I have a B15 Sentra SE.
I bought Hawk HP+ pads
Motul 600 brake oil (later replaced with Ford HD brake oil)

After 5 full lapping days, about about 20-25 lapping sessions of 20minutes.
My Hawk pads and rear OEM's where toast.

I replaced them myself last friday, put back the front OEM's (still have
lots of meat.)
And put some Normal Metal MAsters in the rear (brand new which I bought a
few months ago)

I forgot to re-tighten my bleeder valves , tightenend by hand.

I did not have the time to re-tighten them, so I checked every day all
weekend to make sure
no oil was leaking, and tehre was no oil.

Braking power is reduced, but I attributed this to my OEM pads

I drove around allot all weekend, went to the country with 4 people in the
car (lots of weight)
and did do "some" hard braking, but nothing major.

SO, last night I go to the track, fully knowing my brakes where maybe not
optimal
I figured a 20$ session is worth it, to see exactly where its at !!!

After 2 slow laps and 2 HARD LAPS, rear brakes start smoking like crazy.
I get off the track, we inspect, seems to be the pads. No oil smell, still
no oil
nowhere, pedal feel is harder than ever, not mushier.

I go back on track, to test out a little, and at the end of the first lap,
the rear end is slightly dragging. I get off, and proceeded to drive around
for about 10 minutes to cool down my pads.

It seems to be like my rear pads never got a proper brake in (my fault), but
I just want to be sure,
thats all I have to worrie about. There was LOTS OF SMOKE, and they where
about to stick to the disc's.
But now its ok.

What should I look for (when I remove the pads to inspect), should I worrie,
was it glazing ?
Thanks for any input.

Christian Beaudry
Tetra Technologie
514-631-3666 Ext: 236
christian.beaudry@fleetmind.com

P.S. The HAWK HP+ and (Motul or Ford oil) combo has been GREAT on the track.
Brakes HARD and lasts for 30minute session with no fading. Also Lasted me a
total of 4 months (which included all the events mentionned about).

For the abuse I gave them, I would think that is a great life expectancy for
my pads !

Also, the track I tested on is a VERY technical track, lots of hard braking,
so it doesnt take time to notice all the brake flaws

Oh and there is now chicane in the middle of that long right hand straight.
http://www.autodrome-st-eustache.com/fr/images/presentation/aerien4p.jpg