Deep window scratch.

Peter Grell grellp001@hawaii.rr.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:56:34 -0500

OK fellas and ladies,
  Here's another mystery for you.  I went out to my car this morning and there
was a LARGE (approx 8") and fairly deep (went through coating and in to the
actual glass) vertical scratch in my driver's side window.  At first I just
thought some punk kid had keyed my car, but after I cooled off, I actually
started to think about it.  The damage starts about a quarter of the way down
from the top of the window and ends at the very bottom of the glass, and it
gets progressively deeper as it goes down.  But here's the kicker:  the damage
is limited to the window itself, and doesn't continue on to the paint or
anything.  So I'm thinking, if it was keyed they probably would have just
scratched the paint like any other "normal" hoodlum, and keyings are, from my
experience anyway, usually horizontal.  My theory as of now is that something
is, or was, stuck inside my door and when I rolled down the window last, it
became lodged and damaged the glass (btw, they are power windows, but I
actually wish they were manual...).  I don't remember hearing a scraping
noise, or noticing it when I got out of the car yesterday, which is why I
initially assumed that it was malicious damage.  The window is no longer
scratching the glass when I put it up and down, if indeed it ever was, but it
does seem a little hesitant - more so than the other windows.  So my question
is this:  Has anybody else had this problem with their power windows, or did I
just manage to get some foreign debris in there somehow.  I already searched
the archives of several forums and came up with nothing (except for the
problem with the G20 windows not going up).  Since it is no longer scratching,
I'd hate to tear my door apart for nothing, but I probably will anyway.  OCD
is a bitch ; )  I'm pretty sure that glass is not covered under my warrantee,
but if it's a defect in the door somewhere, that's a different story!  For now
I'll probably just fill it with some glass repair stuff, but any
opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.  Sorry this was so long, but thanks
for listening!
Pete
'99 Sentra SE Limited