really impressive engine management

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 00:58:22 -0500

So I just moved back to Gainesville, FL and went to the local car hangout.
There's a guy with a TTZ and he developed his own engine management system.  He
figured out the Nissan codes and has a PC hooked up through the Consult port.
He has a 7"ish color lcd display in the middle of the car and a smaller lcd
display at the base of the windshield/A-pillar.  He wrote out his program in VB
(Visual Basic I'm assuming) and created his own interface.  He can do
EVERYTHING with the system he developed.  He can adjust all the ignition and
fuel maps (percent enrichment vs. stoicmetric at rpm, maf, boost, etc), read
and datalog every sensor output, theoritical injector pulse width vs. actual,
calculate RWHP while taking into account drag forces, turn the fans on and off,
control the boost pressure (using solenoids from a Supra), EGT, etc.  He even
can shut down individual cylinders while the car is running.

So after driving around, he can look at his data log and make any adjustments
necessary to tune the car.

He even developed a program for drag racing.  He can dial in the ET he wants to
run into his system and the car will basically run it.  On the small display,
it has two bar graphs and a dial.  The bar graphs show his actual position on
the track vs. the theoritical position.  The dial shows if he's plus or minus
the theoritcal.  And the System will automatically adjust boost to compensate.
I am truly impressed with his system.  He built up his motor over the course of
half a year and developed the system at the same time.

I think he's working on a system for sale.  It wouldn't require a PC in the
car, but just hooking up a laptop whenever you wanted to grab data and make
changes.  It's about the most innovative thing I've ever seen!

Khiem