Don't Hate Me...

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:12:14 -0500

for this repetitive question. I was getting set to do my first oil change in
my '91 Classic... by the way, I now have a further reason to hate the ABS. I
found some Trisynthetic Mobil 1 (5-30) at the local Walmart for $4.04 a
quart. Started to buy 5 quarts, then something niggled in my brain.

The original owner had the oil changed on a regular 3k time frame, using
dino oil. Now, the car only has 57k on it, but it is 11 1/2 years old. The
niggling sensation was a reminder of the posts I've come across that mention
people having trouble with oil leaks when switching from dino to a full syn
on a high mileage car.

I don't think I have a high mileage car, but the seals are 11 1/2 years old.
Does anyone think I'll have a problem if I go full synthetic?

I've done my searches, but most of the answers where for "which oil to use",
nothing on how much mileage is "high mileage", and nothing about how age may
effect seals.

I can't find the info now, but I could have sworn that Jay Stewart(if it
wasn't you, Jay, my apologies) mentioned using a synthetic blend first, to
prep the seals, then switch to a full synthetic. Did I remember that
correctly and does anyone have any experience doing this?

Please keep the flaming gentle, I'm trying to teach my 3 yr. old how to read
by using the computer and emails(I know I'm strange, but it's just
practice).

Thanks,

Mark