NX2000 SR20DET musings

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:04:33 -0500

Hey Dan, I have done the DET conversion to my OLD 1993 SE-r.  I spent about
$7000 on the whole thing but I was also upgrading suspension and brakes at
the time.  I didn't do the exhaust nor an FMIC.  I would reccomend both but
for a daily driver it is not completely necessary.  I got the usual JWT
reprogram and thier Pressure Plate.  I fabricated my own down pipe (but now
am using a GJY dp), the intake pipe and enough pipe fab'ing/modifying to
mount the IC behind the driver's headlight.  Not the best but works in a
pinch.  The car is a blast to drive.  Still faster than most everything else
on the road in a city of 140k people.  I have 215k on the chassis and over
30k on the swap/conversion.  Do I regret it?  No.  Sometimes I wish I had
done an S13/14 instead until I drive over the pass in the winter (which I do
a lot!).  Like I said, the swap could be done for a lot sheaper since my
cost included replacing brakes, F&R (to AD22VF but you already have those),
bushings, engine mounts, Shocks/Struts, springs, axles, Alternator, H2O
pump, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah.  If you want any other info let me
know.  All I know is that though not the quickest car on the road, it gets
up an moves pretty good and suprises a lot of people.  It is totally docile
and makes a great daily driver.  My wife likes driving it too.  She merge on
the freeway the other day and looked down at the speedo to see she was
passing 100mph...  Heh heh heh.  New cars are expensive.  I think that as
long as you have done a good job maintaining your car, it ususally is worth
keeping it and upgrading as necessary.  Your yearly output on the used car
will be a lot less than what you would pay on the new one.  If you don't
have the "new car" money to blow every month but you do have a good pown
payment saved up, use it to upgrade your NX.  Will you be avble to get it
back out sometime later?  Probably not except in using it.  Which is quite
enjoyable BTW, especially when served up with a dose of DET!!!

Erik Halvorson

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the
sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove.... but the world may
be different because I was important in the life of a child."  unknown