Super screwed suspension!

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:51:11 -0500

At 10:26 PM 7/19/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>you should be able to rethread the remainder of the shaft and install
>another nut on it.  There are certain tools for that and they do have them
>at autoparts stores.  I think it's called a Tap and Die set?  The new nut
>you install on it will most likely have to be smaller and that means the
>shaft will be narrower and

Yup, correct.  The tap cuts female threads;  the die cuts male [outside]
threads like your damaged strut.  I bought a whole set of metric taps &
dies from Sears Hardware for about $50.  Great to have in the tool
box.  It's saved my butt many times.  If you buy individual ones, you'll
need to get the handle for them too.  Look in a set to see what I'm talking
about.

You might have trouble on your strut with getting the diameter down to the
required size before rethreading.  For inside threads, it's easy;  just use
a drill.  For outside...  got a lathe handy?!  You can probably force it,
just go slower.  The proper technique is to lube the part and the tap with
light oil.  The just turn it a fraction of a turn (1/8 - 1/4) then turn
back a little to let the cuttings out.  Then go a little further on each
subsequent turn.  Oil as you go.
   -Wayne