Tools

nittany@charm.net nittany@charm.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:56:22 -0500

I just bought my first compressor and air tools about two weeks ago.  I
bought a sears 150PSI, 6HP horizontal compressor.  If you go this way, buy
it online but with the store pickup and you will save tons of $$$$.

Sears has the same compressor in about 10 different configurations at all
different prices.  You can go to the store, buy it by itself for about 329.
Or you can buy the 75th anniversary one which is the same but with grey
paint, for more or less depending on the sale that week.  Or do like I did,
buy the kit that comes online with the compressor.  It has a bunch of quick
connect stuff, teflon tape, tire attachment, and a crappy yellow hose.  It
also came with 25ft of the good rubber hose.  I got it all for 259 (no
sales tax in Delaware!).  So buy buying the kit, I saved almost $100 alone
on the copressor.  It was cheaper to get more stuff!  Plus the kit is about
20 bucks seperately to get all the connectors and stuff that is nice to
have.  Then the hose is at  least $15.  Go to sears online and check it out
and compare.  Then do the instore pick up.  Or all sears stores now have
the sears.com computer there and you can just point to the one online and
they can get it for you (usually in stock).  They just don't have them like
this on the floor.  By doing 20 minutes of surfing on sears.com, I saved
about $150 bucks.

P.S.  I bought my air drill at lowes for 35 or so... Just because you buy
the compressor at one place, you can get the tools elsewhere.

Also, keep a watch for ratings for torque and speed.  Rotary tools vs.
Drills plus all the attachments.  There is a big diffence between 2400RPM
and 20,000 RPM.

dave