HELP!!! 91 ser won't start (good BAT. & Starter)

Steve juketech@swbell.net
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:12:29 -0500

Have you checked for continuity thru the cables? Also, run a fairly thick
wire fom the Neg post to the body then to the engine to verify that it has a
good ground, These are the first two things I can think of...That while the
connections appear ok, inside the cabling there is a break..

Steve
91 SE-R
94 SE-R
91 G20

From: "Will Norton" <will_norton@hotmail.com>

My brother is having trouble with his 91 classic.  The problem is weird and
I am hoping that somone else has already encountered it.  The car beeps with
the key in but goes dead (everything is dead) when the key is turned to
start.  He has checked all the obvious stuff ( I think) and I am hoping
someone on the list can help us out. I sent this email once already and did
not see it on the next digest my apologies if it ends up there twice  .  We
are trying to get the car sorted out this weekend so I am a little
impatient...

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated!

The description of what the car does and what he has done to it follows:

ok , there was no prior electrical warning sign before the problem.
basically the car acts like it has no battery. With the key in the ignition,
the car beeps, in accessory, the beep quits like it isn't getting enough
 power, and the clock in the car dims. Nothing electrical in the car lights
 up , makes a noise, or is useable, like the radio. I have tested my starter
 and it is good, I have checked the battery and it is good, I have checked
all the ignition relays, and fusible links, and they are good. I have used a
 different key-ignition switch, and nothing was different.I cleaned and
checked the alternator wires. I cleaned all of the visible grounds in the
 engine bay, including the one that goes to the trans, and I also checked
the
 trans relay. Off of the positive battery terminal there are two leads, one
 reads the battery voltage, which hasn't gone down in five days between
being
 checked, and the other reads one volt less than the battery, and continues
 to "count" or draw down, as long as the voltmeter leads are connected.
 However the battery voltage is not going down. My guess is that something
in
 the accessory circuit is shorted, or has failed in some way or another.
 There is some kind of time clock mention in the shop manuel in the
 electrical section, which a possibility, and also that I have noticed that
 my rubber seal on my hood release cable is not sealing well against the
 fender/fire wall, and moisture is getting in.

 Thanks for reading.  Let me know if you think of anything or have
 experienced this problem.

 Thanks again,

Will
94 classic