Belt failure

LDMartin LDMartin" <LDMartin@email.msn.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:42:43 -0500

Then Wayne wrote:
> IIRC, 9 out of 10 such failures I've read about here over the years
> (8-ish?!) are the alternator, not the A/C.

To close out the thread for the archives, it was indeed the alternator that
had seized.  The rear bearing assembly had disintegrated.  Nissan couldn't
get either a bearing set or reman unit here till Wednesday at the earliest
so I found a reman alternator at NAPA.  After they tried to sell me one for
a 1.6 they finally found the correct one (only unit is St. Louis).

Its NAPA part number is 138965.  Lifetime warranty, $204 with the core
($66).  Remanned in Japan but I can't tell by whom.  Put it in yesterday
morning, all seems fine although there appears to be a little lateral runout
in the pulley.  Time will tell.

Larry Martin
'92 SE-R