LOUD valvetrain on first run after DET swap

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:03:26 -0500

Car idles great, runs smooth. Haven't driven it yet. The only seeable problem
is that the valvetrain is excessively noisy. Just take normal SR20 idling
valve noise and amplify it about 5 times and that's what we got. We did take a
look under the valve cover earlier. The top end looks to be in VERY good
shape. The only two ideas I have are:

1. Timing chain tensioner isn't popped out. The owner of the car just put it
back in the motor this week so that's a possibility. Also along those lines,
the tensioner could be off the chain guide.

2. Something is up with the hydaulic valve lash adjusters (HVLAs). I don't
know too much about what kinds of problems there can be with these. How could
they be problematic and how could you check them? Could issues with them cause
excessive valvetrain noise?

TIA
Ben Davis