HS Header probs...

Chad E. Savoure savsport@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:23:49 -0500

Ever since I installed the HS header I got from JWT on my '96 G20, I've had
this nasty "hissing" noise that you hear at lower rpm's when you step on the
throttle.  My mechanic friend helped me install it and double-checked
everything with me.  We found no exhaust leaks anywhere, including around
the EGR like other folks suspected.  After contacting HS about it, they
basically hinted to the fact that their flex pipe portion of the header is
contracted out and they suggested it *may* be that portion causing the
problem.  I asked about exchanging it, but they said the "chances were high"
I would get another that would do the same.  Well, whether I get any help
from them or not, I've decided I can't live with this stupid sound, so I've
got to try something.  I may have someone do a custom flex pipe portion for
me, as I know a custom exhaust shop that should be able to do so.  But,
before I spend some tall cache, I'm wondering if the problem lies with the
manifold.  I remember the new HS manifold's EGR hole either not lining up
perfectly with the port on the motor or having some extra metal on the
inside of it.  So, maybe I should try to remove some metal in the EGR
fitting area of the HS manifold first.  Any other ideas...anyone?  Is it
possible to run a solid section of pipe from the manifold section to the cat
(i.e. no flex pipe) w/o causing damage to the pipe in time?  I know a local
hillbilly that loves bending mild steel pipe for exhaust.  He'd make me a
section for a case of beer probably, hehe.  I could have him make me a solid
section to swap out with the current HS flex portion just for testing
purposes.  That'd tell me if the problem lies in the flex pipe portion or
not.

TIA,
Chad
'96 G20 that's making me bitter as a pill