mutant se-r??

Wayne Cox wmc20@dnaco.net
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:07:42 -0500

At 08:47 AM 6/18/2002 -0500, Nick Kulczak wrote:
>     Do any of you know if the trans of a 1.6 Sentra or
>an older generation Altima would work in a '93 SE-R?

Don't think so.  The guys that swap SR20s into the li'l 'injun cars have to
install the tranny and axles too.  Don't even think the 1.6 tranny will
bolt up to an SR20.

>the shop owner couldn't fit the new pilot bushing to the shaft--he says it
>needs an outsized bushing 'cuz it's "the wrong trans." I said haha, okay,
>sure it is. I'm

Are you just getting a clutch replaced?  Some folks get their terminology
screwed around from what's in the FSM or what is common.  So you'll need to
verify what part he's talking about.  But for most of the world, a pilot
bushing or bearing goes in the center of the flywheel to support the end of
the transmission's input shaft.  Most of them have a machined (turned) tip
on the input shaft that actually rides inside the bearing's I.D.

The SR20 is unusual because the input shaft does not go clear into the
bushing.  They both have a chamfered edge that contacts, but that's
all.  Normally, guys here don't screw with the pilot bushing at all.  Or if
you do take it out, just drive the new one in part way, like maybe a little
under-flush with the flywheel.  When the tranny is bolted down to the
engine, it will push the bushing back in to the proper depth.

If he actually has your tranny internals disassembled, then that's a whole
'nother story.  He might be looking at a parts list for the 1.6
tranny.  Your's is the RS32V / SR20DE / 2.0L.

   -Wayne Cox