considering my options

Donovan Maxwell dono200sx@yahoo.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:59:11 -0500

Over the past couple months I have been trying to
decide whether or not to swap out my GA16 for an SR20,
or to just go buy an SE-R. What I am trying to figure
out is which would likely end up costing me less in
the end. My main question right now is... If I wanted
to do the conversion, what all under the hood is going
to have to be replaced? I not going to go turbo at
this point in time, I don't have the money for that. I
probably won't even be able to do the swap or buy the
car until august or so.

If I were to do the swap, where can I find the proper
steps for removing the engine and installing the new
one? I'm currently searching SE-R.net, but I would
welcome any and all input on this. Especially from the
experienced guys... Mike Kojima and friends. =) I've
not done this sort of thing before, but I would love
to learn how. I do have another vehicle to harass
Dallas in, so time isn't too big of a deal. Is there
anything out of the ordinary that needs to be done to
get the SR20 in? Like moving motor mounts? I have a 95
200SX SE if that helps any.

Another option I have been considering is getting an
SE-R from a junk yard with a blown motor and just
replacing that. In that case, I just might go all out
and have the engine rebuilt for a tighter compression,
bigger injectors, etc. I will at some point in time,
it's just a matter of when. Should this happen, it
will be an almost exclusively race track vehicle.

Thanks for any input y'all might have!

Donovan Maxwell