S&S Headers

JOHN MANN jmann98@msn.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:54:37 -0500

S&S headers were discussed lightly on Feb. 28, 2002, but I don't know if S&S
headers have ever been discussed much beyond this, partly because the archive
search does not like searches with the "&." I tried to work around this.

What I have gathered:
1. Terry Vincent has a page at
http://www.se-r.net/header_exhaust/s&s_header.html which shows a dyno test.
They made a max of about 4 hp and 4 pound/ft of torque on a lightly modded '92
Classic, with most gains above 4500rpm, but some modest gains below, too,
particularly in torque. At his own pages at Serpilot.freeservers.com he has
some other dyno runs which are less impressive than those on se-r.net. He also
remarks in a post that he was generally unimpressed, although the fit was
good. Also he mentioned that there were no blown gaskets, and that the paint
smoked badly during the dyno run.
2. Mike Kojima commented about 3 years ago that "This makes it a good low end
and mid range header. It gives a 6-8 hp advantage over a wide powerband. Also,
"It is a good header for the money if you have a stockish motor."
3. They retail, according to the prices on their website at www.ssheaders.com,
at $251.75, or $351.75 with a "high performance silver coating." The company
has been around since 1968. Also, the web site states that their headers are
NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE ON CALIFORNIA POLLUTION-CONTROLLED MOTOR VEHICLES. I
don't know what a "CA pollution-controlled" car is, but could this be why this
list has not discussed S&S headers much?
4. SCC ran an article entitled something like "Great Header Test for the
SR20DE," stating that the S&S made the best average gains. I don't know how
old this article is, or in what issue it ran in.
5. Technical info:
4-into-1 with a racing style merge collector
1-5/8" 16 gauge steel primaries
2" collector
5/16" CNC plasma cut flanges

I'm now wondering if anyone has more info, such as other dyno runs,
reliability, longevity, sound, installation/fit. Am also wondering what the
silver coating is - ceramic? Paint? I live in Arizona, so I don't think I need
any protection from rust. Also am trying to avoid the Hotshot header because
of its price and race-oriented design ( I usually keep things below 6500rpm.)

Thanks to anyone who has any input.

- John
'97 200sx se-r w/CAI

For the search engine: S & S ssheader.com Glendale S&  &S