PITA

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:29:33 -0500

Well, for those of you(mostly, over at sr20de forums... don't think I'll be
asking for advice from there anytime soon, they're too impatient with new
owners) that said I couldn't replace my motor mounts/inserts... you'd be
only half right.

For those of you on this mailing list who gave me encouragement(thank
you)... you'd be only half right.

I got the front(passenger) side mount done first... figured it was the
easiest to do and it would give me some perspective on the rest of the job.
Can't tell you how long it took, took my watch off so I wouldn't break it.
The extra jack under the oil pan worked wonders.

Then decided to try the rear motor(drivers side), looked a bit more
difficult. Couldn't decide whether to try going at it from the top(remove
battery tray) or from the bottom. Well, it didn't make any difference....
could not get the bolts out. Sprayed with some high power rust and bolt
loosener, an hour later, they still wouldn't come out. Will try again at a
later date since that mount is not one of my worries.

Then, it was time for the ES torque inserts. Followed Ricks instructions to
a tee. Got the dogbone off first. Putting the inserts in took a bit of wrist
power, but I managed it. Heated both inserts in boiling water for about 1
minute, then sprayed the dogbone with some lube stuff(right now I'm sooo
bone tired that I can't remember the name, other than it was polyurethane
friendly), Put a serious palm strike on it while the mount was on a flat
board... popped right in.

At this point, I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then decided on the
firewall mount. Can you sense the foreshadowing? After removing the mounting
bracket bolts all the way, came to the last torque mount. What a bitch of a
space to work in. I was just getting sick of it... wanted to remove alllll
the hanging pipe crap within reach just so I'd have space to work. Finally
got the mount off and unbolted the motor mount from it. ES insert time
again.... and I was soooo confident at this point.

Just by squeezing the inserts into their respective places, I could tell
this was not going to fit w/o some adjustments. In the back of my mind, I
remember reading how several members had written about having to shave off
some pieces. But for the life of me, I couldn't remember what. So, I took
the newly assembled mount and used the jack and some boards to see how flat
I could press it. Gave me an idea about where to shave. Did some shaving,
pressed it again, and decided it would have to do. I also had the ES shifter
bushings I need to install, especially since my ass was already down there.
Well, on my back, with my head facing the exhaust, I undid the "pipe" that
was closest to the center of the car(rhs). Used the 12mm socket, and again
was feeling pretty good about myself. Then it occurred to me.... I had no
idea where the bushings went. I'd looked at 2 different diagrams and noticed
that there are 3 different spots for bushings. I looked at the ES bushing in
my hand and decided...."screw this, until I find out for sure, I'm not
messing with this... more research needed(helllooooo archives!)".

Back to the fire wall mount. Got the motor mount reinstalled onto the
mounting bracket and preceeded with the install. Lined everything up, used
judicious amounts of lube, and pressed that baby back up there. Tight fit
and I seem to remember some of the members talking about how the inserts can
interfer with the shifter. Well, no matter. Loosely attached the dogbone to
the motor bracket and the bracket to the front frame. This could go on
forever( ok, it already has).

The bottom line is this, I could not , for the life of me, get the bolt for
the fire wall mount lined up. I pressed things up, moved things over, took
everything out again(thought maybe I had pushed the mount too high), and all
to no avail.

Keep in mind, I was doing this alone, my brother was unavailable and it just
seemed that I didn't have enough hands or even know of any shortcuts to
help. So, there sits my car, still on jack stands, waiting for me to finish
it tomorrow. I must admit that I was also getting bone assed tired.
Hopefully, with the rest and a bit more research(gotta find out if I shaved
the right thing or have to do over), I'll get it done tomorrow.

I hate having purchased the car almost 2 weeks ago, and still not drive it.
This is bugging me to no end. Short of killing myself, I'll do my best to
finish it tomorrow night. I seriously need to be driving this car... and
soon!

Thanks for allowing the rant, and again, for those who shared there
knowledge and encouragement... bless you. For those of you who got annoyed
with my questions.... c'est la vie, I'm trying.

Later,
Mark