Need Struts

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 06:52:04 -0500

  cowboydren@b15sentra.net wrote:

>Nah; it was my fault for nitpicking. ;)  The (slightly but not always)
>more accurate way to tell is to look at the bottom of the body.  Struts
>have two holes aligned semi-vertically; this is what keeps them attached
>to the hub/spindle, and keeps the hub/spindle vertical.  Like George
>said.  Shock absorbers *generally* just have a round eyelet or bushing
>or variation thereof, since they just damp motion, not locating
>anything.

I'm not sure you completely understood what I was saying about locating the
suspension.  Perhaps you did, but I'm not certain.

Your suspension has pivot points.  Where these pivot points are on the
chassis is what I'm referring to as locating points - points on the chassis
that the suspension attaches to.  With a MacPherson strut, the upper
locating or pivot point is where the shaft attaches at the shock
tower.  This is one of the reasons the MacPherson strut is so popular with
OEMs - it eliminates parts and complexity.  For the enthusiast it gives a
lot more compromise in suspension geometry.  The top of a strut not only
turns, but it pivots as well.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>