MAF reground nightmare rd XIV

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:05:14 -0500

Okay,

At the suggestion of Jim Wright, I went ahead and snipped the ground
wire going into the harness, and reattached my new 10 gauge.

Reset the ECU, checked codes, code 55 - Normal System Operation.

Thinking everythings great, I try to start the car.  The car starts up,
looks like it's going to a smooth high idle +-1500 rpm, the normal warm
up idle, and at around 1100 starts to choke, gasps once or twice, and
dies.  Try to start the car again, same thing.  Moved new MAF ground to
another ground bolt, retightened the one it came from on the intake
manifold, down under the EGR valve, just up from the plenum, spread some
dielectric grease on the bolt, and both o-terminals.

I had the key on, so the MAF generated a code 12 again, I reset the ECU,
checked codes again, and got a code 55 again, reset the ECU a third
time, checked codes, still 55.

The MAF sensor/wiring doesn't seem to be an issue now, so consider this
problem in a vacuum - what could be wrong/how could I check it.  I have
an ECU showing up tomorrow morning, but I have this sinking feeling I'm
going to swap it in, and still be SOL - arrgh.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.