Need Struts

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:22:17 -0500

Okay, now you've got me stumped.  I just replaced struts on my SE-R about a
month ago, and I didn't see the big difference between the two, other than the
rears have a swaybar link tie-in.

I'm not the uber mechanic or anything, but as far as I know, the real
difference is whether or not it has a lower spring perch or not.  'shocks'
don't have a lower spring perch, and go on vehicles where the springs are
separate like a truck, or older vehicles with leaf springs.  I think there are
even spring over shock suspensions, like on newer GMC stuff, where the lower
spring perch is on the wishbone (that may not be the correct technical term).

(MacPherson) struts have a lower spring perch attached to the shock body,
hence, why they call spring compressor kits 'MacPherson Strut Spring
Compressors'.

Not to get technical or anything :)

Cowboydude wrote:

Depends on which end of the car you're talking about.  Sentras have
(MacPherson) struts up front and just plain shock absorbers ("shocks" in
the common yet misleading vernacular) in the rear.  They're all dampers,
though...

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.