FSM

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:52:34 -0500

Mark, wrote:

>Well, I couldn't wait. I ordered a factory service manual for my '91 SE-R.
>It cost me $70, but I figured it would be worth it.

>It's got lots of neat stuff in it. If I ever have to change out my clutch,
>remove the engine, brakes, transmission and etc..., it will be worth it.
>But, it doesn't have the one piece of information I wanted. I wanted a
>more detailed description with pictures and whatnot about how to replace
>the motor mounts and/or use the inserts.

    <snip>

>I've read Rick's Nissan page a number of times. For me(new to this), it's
>just not detailed enough. The last thing I want to do is futz my car up. I
>really thought the FSM would have a more explicit desription. Ahhhhh

Mark, I think you are really over thinking this one.  The engine mounts are
really easy to change.  You'll need to use your floor jack to move the
engine around a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard.  I say shouldn't be
since I've always changed mine with the engine out of the car.  That's a
little too hard core for a simple mount change though (no, I didn't remove
the engine just to change the mounts).

I think you'll find them to be very straight forward once you jump in.

>Fudge... now I'm going to have to call around and see if any decent motor
>shops will put my parts in, without charging me an arm a leg.

Don't wimp out now.  You can do this.  I assure you that you can.  I'll go
further to assure you that if you do it over a weekend, if you *do* get
hung up (pun intended), someone will be on-line within a few hours to help
you get through it.

>If I weren't so worried about messing the car up, I'd still go for
>it myself.

Don't worry about messing it up.  Like I said, you *can* do this.

>Crap, this really makes me feel like a weenie.

Don't.  Just step back, look the mounts over tomorrow for a while.  It's
pretty much as straight forward as it looks (uh, just do one at a time
;-).  The first time I did an engine swap I had a myriad of small problems
and had such a hard time sorting it out that I felt much the same.  Bottom
line was you just take it a step at a time and don't panic.  It's just
mechanical stuff and this list is the greatest lifeline for a newbie wrench.

>Oh well, I guess the FSM stands for "Foolishly Spent Money"... at least
>for this project.

Maybe for this project, but if you start working on your car yourself, you
will learn to love it.

If you think the SE-R FSM is bad, you should buy a 944.  I had to buy 6
friggin volumes.  Got it off eBay for over $200, and it *still* doesn't
cover half the stuff I need.  Hell, there is an early 944 and late 944 and
the bloody manuals just don't give enough info on the early ones to say
so.  The Nissan FSMs are *the best* I've ever had.  No question.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>