NOT SER related(95 ford truck with 5.0 conversion question)

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:03:31 -0500

Koerner, Ray <RKoerner@Microcoating.com> wrote:

>I feel this list loses more new SE-R enthusiasts by flaming them for a
>single post, than losing the older more knowledgeable guys by the way of OT
>subjects.

Ray, I have to admit that you are probably correct about that one.  This is
something that presents something of a quandry for sure.

One problem with losing much of the braintrust is that an awful lot of
knowledge leaves, many times for good.  Definitely bad.  What is the relative
value of newbies (or lurkers) to a knowledgeable veteren?  That's a rhetorical
question and I hope nobody tries to answer that, but everone should ponder it
a bit.

The problem with losings newbies and lurkers is that nobody knows who will
become the next pioneer.  Well, that and the fact that people don't need to be
pioneers to be valuable either.

I've cut down on my list activity a fair bit from a year ago, mostly because
for the first time in 10 years I have a completely new platform to learn about
and that takes time.  I'm also a newbie to the Porsche folks (well, not
anymore:-).  Many veterans who don't pay much attention to the list anymore
have asked me why I continued to be so active.  There are two reasons.  1)
I've learned so much from this list that I feel obligated to give back.  But,
I nearly always have done at least some research before asking questions or
have stated that ,yes, I'm a total moron on the subject and need help getting
stated.  2) Once again, you never know who is going to become the next guru.

So, there's my take.  I do agree with Bill, but you make a really good point
that I agree with and that we should all think about.  Just think about what
the loss (often permanent) to the list is when someone reall knowledgeable
leaves.

George Roffe