Motor Mounts

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 19:28:44 -0500

Mark wrote:

>First, I've been shopping hydraulic jack and jackstand prices, mostly at
>Sears. I don't believe I'll ever need a 7 ton capacity jack/jack stands.

Probably not.  Unless I'm in the car when you lift it. ;-)

>Am I correct to assume that 2 1/4 or 3 ton capacity jacks are plenty.

Yes, with a couple of caveats.

>Only problem with the 2 1/4 ton jack is the press area is much smaller
>than the 3 ton jack press area. I want the one with the bigger area... right?

Not only that, but there are a couple other things to think about.

First, get one where the handle works the valve (as opposed to the smaller
ones where you remove the handle to operate a separate valve).

Second, you want to pay attention to the lifting height.  This can be more
important than you think.  When I do an engine swap, I have to lift the
car, move the jack further back along the center brace and then lift it as
high as I can get it to get the engine under the radiator core
support.  Height *is* important.

>Also, is $120 for the 3 ton with 2 jack stands a reasonable price?

I see that combo advertised almost every week for $99.

>I've never used an hydraulic jack or jack stands before, hence the ignorance.

Better to ask know and be edumacated than buy know and get edumacated the
hard way when it's too late.

>Also found out from one of the customer service people in the Sears Auto
>Shop that there is a local NAPA store that sells the jwt and energy
>suspension mounts.... so looks like I won't have to order them.

Yes, they can get them, but their catalog probably doesn't list them.  We
have the same or similar suppliers and if you want the ES products for a
Mustpank or Camaro, they can help.  They probably couldn't find stuff for
the SE-R even if you offer them 10lbs of bananas.

>I'll have to see if they sell the Motul for the transmission fluid change.

Nope.  Go to a motorcycle shop for that.  Beware....  I'd rather roll in
baby poop than to get that stuff on me.  P-U

>If they don't, I just might go ahead and use Redline... if they have that.

It sure smells better.  I've used both and at least from a shifting
standpoint, they are pretty equivalent.

>Any thoughts or suggestions about the above is more than welcome. Just no
>jokes about full body cavity searches.

Oh man, that's no joke. ;-)

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>