Failed CA smog, need some help...

Jeffrey Trinidad jnktrinidad@msn.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 01:54:22 -0500

Well, well, well the seasoned lurker has now just become a padawan poster and
he is need of some advise from the SE-R Jedi.

Hate to say it but I am an owner of a classic that has failed the CA emissions
test, and to top it all off it is a gross polluter!  The guy that did the test
says I can get a diagnostics test done on it to see why it is failing, but I
wanted to run an "online diagnostics" check first to see what I can do before
bringing it in.

Basically, she's a 93 SE-R with 114,000 miles on it (stock engine).  Other
than driving her around this month I haven't driven her in the last 2 years
(the audience gasps in horror).  I did change the oil, replaced the cap and
rotor and also the plugs.  I also cleaned out the throttle body.  She has a
set of Nology plug wires.  I'm trying to smog her so that I can finalize her
registration.  Took her down to the smog check place and watched as the tech
took her through the procedure.

The readings I got for her were:

@15mph (1770RPM)    14.5% CO2(meas)     0.5% O2(meas)
Failed HC=279  Max. allowed is 89 and Gross polluter limit is 277
It passed CO%
Failed NO=1538  Max. allowed is 1011 and Gross polluter limit is 1944

@25mph (2109PRM)    15.2% CO2(meas)     0.1% O2(meas)
Failed HC=111  Max. allowed is 54 and gross polluter limit is 227
It passed CO%
It passed NO

Also, during the run I noticed that there was a heck of a lot of engine
movement back and front even during idle.  I'm guessing she needs some new
engine mounts, but first I need to tackle this smog problem.  I am looking for
any and all sound advice on what I can do to get her to passed the smog check.
I've been with this group for years, even as far back as Merlin and Searl.  I
know of the expertise on this list and that is why I am still here, to glean
wisdom from those who hold the knowledge of the sr20!!

Thanks,
Jeffrey
93 Sentra SE-R
San Diego, CA