Rod knock?

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 May 2002 18:53:21 -0500

Mike Jez wrote:

>Yep U spun a bearing....very common :) Join the club man....I spun many of
>em. U can fix it by putting new ones in and it will only cost ya about 50
>bux in parts :)))

Um, be careful who you take advice from.  Mike has spun many of them.  I
wonder why.

If the crank has *any* boogering, and I bet it does if you've been driving
it, the crank is toast.  If you can rub the rod journal with your
fingernail and detect *any* unevenness (and I mean any), forget it.  If you
are lucky there won't be, but almost nobody gets that lucky.  Remember the
standard bearing clearance is eight to eighteen ten-thousandths.  Not
0.008-0.018" but 0.0008-0.0018".

Mike tried this monkey repair job on his DET in Dallas two years
ago.  Didn't work then.  Probably won't work now.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>