knock detection

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 22:33:07 -0500

JP, cowboydren@b15sentra.net wrote:

>The only thing that sticks out in my mind were a couple of 11:1 cars
>with a buggy JWT program

Whoa there partner.

I think categorizing the JWT 11:1 program as buggy is way out of line.  The
connotations of buggy are really really wrong.

Let me set the record straight as I was one of the people running the 11:1
program.  I built the second 11:1 engine and Mike Pahls built the
third.  Mike Pahls and I both had some mild ping from around 2500-3500
rpm.  I could keep it from happening, albeit not under full power.  It only
happened under very specific circumstances.

Mike Kojima did a lot of testing to reproduce this.  When he finally did,
it was recorded and corrected.  It was a fairly minor issue.  I would not
call the 11:1 program buggy and the issue has long ago been
corrected.  Don't forget these were the second and third 11:1 engines and
the first outside JWT's direct contact.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>