The Nylon tubing 'solution'

James McColl jmccoll@cch.ca
Thu, 23 May 2002 08:30:47 -0500

Geo wrote:
>Actually, the nylon line isn't all that bad. It's not "plastic" line in the
sense you might normally think of it. It has been in use >as brake line on
racing karts for a long long time. In many years of racing karts I *never*
saw a nylon line burst.

True.  I've been running nylon tubing with my oil pressure gauge since 1998.
And the gauge has saved my engine at least once.

The fittings are a different matter though.  Autometer can't seem to make a
decent fitting.  The one to the block has blown out once, and the fitting
itself where it screws into the block keeps backing out.  I'm going to
replace it with something that's better quality.

While I'm replacing the fitting, I was going to replace the nylon tubing
with copper tubing.  Or would braided ss line be better?

The fitting to the actual gauge in the car has blown out as well, but it's
fine now.  I actually bought a cheap $20 gauge from Canadian Tire, and the
fittings in it were better quality than the $70 Autometer gauge's fittings,
so I used the fittings and threw out the gauge.

James
NX2000