OT: Camry Motor swap (semi-long)

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 18 May 2002 13:04:07 -0500

I know this is the SR20DE list, but I thought someone might actually
know what's going on with this thing.

I swapped over a (mildly used, JDM, or somewhere else that doesn't
require EGR) late version 3SFE into my wifes' 91 Camry - moved over all
the sensors, water neck, kept the new intake/exhaust manifolds, swapped
over the throttle body, brackets, accessories. Everything in the harness
is back where it should be, I have a slight problem with the throttle
bracket, but I can make one to fix that easily enough.

Everything seemed smooth, but it seems to be getting too much fuel, and
the radiator fans are stuck always on - they shouldn't be - bad temp
sensor?

The new block wasn't tapped for EGR, and the new intake manifold doesn't
have an EGR spot either -
so I decided to disable EGR, ripping off and plugging the former vacuum
line connections, and connected one of the (now spare) vacuum taps off
the intake manifold to the gas vapor canister.  I *might* have
made a mistake there :(

I was also thinking maybe I should just swap the old intake manifold and
EGR system back in, just leaving the exhaust gas out, by not drilling
the block, the block is pre-tapped for the EGR tube fitting.

Any ideas?  Could someone with a little more experience point out to me
where I monkey'd myself over the line?

All I did was unplug a couple vacuum lines - I think, anyway, I also
used the new injectors, but they were in the motor already, and required
no adaptation to plug into the existing harness.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.