MAF Ground problems on a 91 Classic

Dan slamtry@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 15:59:12 -0500

I am having a continuing problem with my 91 Classic and would appreciate
any advice. I regrounded the MAF about 18 months ago so but about once
every four to six weeks I get symptoms which appear to be MAF-related. I
say this for three reasons:

1) It exhibits the standard MAF symptoms - stalling at stoplights, etc.

2) It thows a code 45 - well known for being caused by MAF problems
rather than the leaky injectors it is supposed to indicate.

3) I can temporarily solve the problem by taking off the other end from
the MAF, i.e. where the wire is grounded to the motor, and cleaning it and
applying dielectric grease. This makes it run great for a month or so.
What is weird is that the MAF readings are within spec even BEFORE I do
this so it seems strange that it should be the MAF at all. However the
incontrovertible fact is that removing, cleaning and replacing the ground
end does solve it at least for a while. Am I missing something here? Could
it be some other sensor that is causing the problem and it is just
resetting the ECU that makes it seem like regrounding is solving the
problem?

Dan

Tom Mak <tmak26b@snet.net> wrote