Auto Transmissions

dhashiba@alpine-la.com dhashiba@alpine-la.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 20:22:38 -0500

Emond,

We got it but the thing you gotta remember here is that only a few of us
have an Auto tranny.  Most people on the list have no idea what kind of
service or fluids you need in the auto.

When ever i get my auto tranny serviced i always just get it flushed with
new Dextron III stuff or what ever the factory recommends.

The first time i took my G20 to the track my tranny didn't over heat but at
that time i was on stock wheels and suspension.
2nd time i overheated my tranny because it started to come out of the vent
tube.  This was with Synthetic Auto tranny Fluid after a flush but with 16"
heavy wheels and GC and AGX's
3rd time same thing Flushed before this track event but still overheated.
4th and 5th time i had no problem because i had put a tranny cooler from
OEC on it and have had no problems since then. Flushed before these events.
Went back to Stock wheels with azenis tires.

Only thing i can tell you.  If you take your auto to the track get a cooler
if you have aftermarket wheels.  If your running stock you should be ok.
Just get it flushed instead of changed and do it at least every 2 years or
30k miles.

Davin
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to working on cars so take my word
as just opinion not fact.