Brake problems

Wayne Cox wmc20@dnaco.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 14:20:16 -0500

At 01:46 PM 5/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Howdy! I put some Brembo oem replacement rotors on my '92 classic a few
>weeks back. I've noticed recently that on very sharp right handed turns I
>hear a kind of humming sqeaking sound coming from the rear passenger side
>of the car.

This might not be your noise source;  but it's a common problem I've seen
on every rear B-13 disk brake I've worked on.   Worth checking out.

The locating tabs on the pads [both OEM and aftermarket] seem to usually be
oversized, so they're a very tight fit in the caliper.  Disk brake pads
need to be able to "float" in the bracket so they have a little play to
move in and out.  I test the fit, and when they're [almost always] too
tight, knock off some metal from the tabs with a file or bench grinder.

Symptoms are similar with a sticking caliper:  dragging brakes (and
excessive dust), poor braking, poor ABS performance, noise, uneven pad or
disk wear, etc.

   -Wayne Cox    2 NXen and a crunched SE-R