Shasta All Nissan Meet

Scott_Higashi@el.nec.com Scott_Higashi@el.nec.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 18:40:26 -0500

Hey Guys,

Just a head's up...  The 10th Annual Shasta All Nissan meet is coming up
quickly.  It goes from July 10th -
14th and you can get info and registration at
http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/2002MtShastaFlyerPg1.pdf and
http://www.dimequarterly.tierranet.com/2002MtShastaFlyerPg2.pdf.

In a nutshell, it's wall to wall Datsun 510s, Roadsters, and Z cars mostly.
A few newer Nissans, and a few
"spec rental" cars come out and have a blast.

Thursday is lapping day at Thunderhill Park about an hour north of
Sacramento.  Three plus miles of
elevation change and technical road course.  Lunch is included, and a track
group picture is available.

After Thunderhill we all caravan up to Mount Shasta.  Probably 2.5-3 hours
straight up  I-5.  The rest of the
activities happen there at the Ski Lodge in beautiful Siskiyou county.  I
usually camp out at the KOA, but
there are a few motels in town.

Friday includes a road rallye, swap meet, and Gymkhana.  The Gymkhana's a
BLAST!  Think
autocrossing while your passenger (you heard right) hangs out the window
and performs tasks along the
course.  Past events included hitting soda cans off of cones using a super
soaker, throwing beanbags into
buckets, skipping frisbees through hoops, and ringtosses...  Friday night
dinner is included.

Saturday is more swapmeet, then car show, and AUTOCROSS!  Saturday
breakfast is included.  After
autocross there's a test of skill and car coasting called the Left Coast
where you see if you can coast your
car to a stop without braking as close as you can to a point on the road.
Saturday night is awards banquet and there are raffles on Friday and
Saturday night.

Sunday morning Brunch, then more autocross for those who haven't had enough
and this is the time many
take to drive the rest of the way up the mountain to over 8000 ft
elevation.  In the past there's still been
snow, but who knows this year.

Anyway, it's a great time, there are always great people and stories, and
heck, it's Nissan.  Also it's
AWESOME to be around so much old school iron, and there are always a huge
number of extremely
beautiful and well prepared (and FAST) cars to look at.

Also, for you disc golfers, there's a great 18 hole course that plays from
the top of the ski hill down to the
lodge.  You pay for a lift ticket and ride the lift up and play down.
Bring your discs, it's a course you won't
forget!

Last year I even got a ride in the Disco Potato at Thunderhill.  Dave C.
and I actually met at Shasta, what, in
 1992!?  And I've been going since.  Back then we both had ratty Datsun
1600 Roadsters and it was the
Datsun Roadster Meet...  Ah the good old days...  Actually, the Roadster
meet split off of the All Nissan
meet 10 years ago and they have their own little gathering at Mt. Shasta
the same weekend, but those old
guys don't have as much energy as we do so they just sit around and polish
their cars! :^)  You could
always drive out and see some really nice examples of restored Roadsters.
Mine, OTOH was lovingly
known as the "Roach"ster, complete with exposed unfinished Bondo and
multicolored body.  See
http://members.tripod.com/~Adam_Bradley/higashi.html for my fond
memories...

All this comes to you at a measly $175 for everything.  Autocrosses, car
shows, track day, food.  Can't beat that bargain.  It's just too bad that
it happens on an SE-R Cup race weekend.

Anyway, hope to see some more of you show up to this event.  If you're in
the mood for a second
"convention" this is a great opportunity (or if you missed the official
one...).

Drive Happy,

-Scott