timing belt

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 7 May 2002 15:38:17 -0500

Tom Radke <TRADKE@MARC.ORG> wrote:

>For a variety of reasons, the question of the age of the timing chain on
>this car has come up.  The car has 166K on it and the chain has not been
>changed.  Question:  is it better to change the chain before it breaks or is
>it better to just wait for it to break?

The timing chain is good for the life of the engine.  Well, if it breaks, it's
the end of the life of the engine. ;-)

Seriously, you shouldn't worry about the chain on the SR20.  I've build a high
output NA SR20 and replaced the chain only because I had it apart and all it
cost was the price of the chain itself.  I've torn down a couple of other
SR20s and examined the chains of several other high mileage SR20s and none of
them have shown any wear or noticeable stretch, including the LeBrea Tar Pits
engine that came with my G20.  If any chain should have been hosed it's that
one.

I've only heard of one SR20 chain breaking and it was on a car under warranty
- obviously a fluke thing.  About 3-4 years ago a few of use with high mileage
SE-Rs started worrying about the chains, but as we started rebuilding engines
we realized they are pretty damned stout.

Finally, the cost of replacing the chain will be well into the hundreds.  I
think Shell Black paid Courtesy something like $500 to replace his (before we
found out it's unnecessary).  You can buy a JDM engine for that much (of
course, that doesn't include installation).

My advice is:  Don't sweat it.  As Lee said, even Mike Jez hasn't broken one
and he's even broken a *block* while changing bearings!!

George Roffe
http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/beast-toc.htm>