Prokits over AGX

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 19:07:15 -0500

So, I bought a set of AGX's from p-s-t, and Prokits from racesearch ...
Just had to, in spite of the vague possibility of 300/200 springs, I'll
swap them out for the 300/200's later, if necessary.

Well, I finally got around to getting the fronts on... Boy, sure seems
like more than 1.2 inches, maybe I should cut most of the rubber off the
boot, I also put koni bumpstops on from Motivational, and took it out
for a ride.  What a difference!  I know it's only supposed to be 1.2"
and about what, 30% higher spring rate than stock.. but it feels huge.

I also put a motivational strut tower brace on the front and after about
3 tries - finally got it adjusted so there's no play in the bar.  With
the all the front end mods, it seems like the car's balanced
considerably towards understeer now (can you say EVIL?), so I can't wait
to beef the back up a little.
Besides, I'm completely addicted to that 'hardly ANY body roll' that it
seems like I've gained, so beef up the back is the route, don't unbeef
the front.  Now if I could just get the car to oversteer.

One big question, I thought the AGX's were 8 way adjustable, it seems
the front's are only 4-way via the little (mini-screwdriver cheerfully
provided along with a free advertising AGX sticker by KYB) turnscrew in
the top of the shaft, whereas the rears are fully 8-way adjustable with
the knob on the shock body.  Is this normal?  Factory setting on the
fronts is 2 out of 4, it seems to feel good, is there something that
feels better?

I'll be making a strut tower brace for the rear, and if I can figure out
a way to make them reasonably cheap, I'll try to put them up for sale.
I'm thinking a solid steel bar in the back, along the lines of that one
someone made already, I'm going to try and make sure it has all three
strut tower holes in the brackets though, instead of 2, if I can, and
hide it behind the seat, like the one I saw online somewhere like sentra
or se-r.net.

Just wondering, anyone think the front brackets, like off a motivational
front STB would work with minor mods on the back (is the 3 hole bolt
pattern the same?)  I might be able to answer this question myself in
about 2 days..

On a side note: Anyone got a stillen or SMC short shifter they don't
need anymore?  The new $40 one seems el-cheapo to me, and I hate the
colors.. and I've heard the pacesetter's kinda cheesy.  I just don't
want to fork over huge cash for a new one from Stillen, boy, if I could
shorten my shift throw, I might be dangerous!

Can't wait to meet some of you guys on a course sometime, even with my
mostly stock, but now a little better than, Classic :P  OH BOY!
Tomorrow, the rears, :)

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, buy an old Sentra SE-R.