EGR pipe shape

Eric Seppanen eds@reric.net
Thu, 2 May 2002 14:33:16 -0500

So I ordered up a new EGR pipe from the dealer, because the last one is
rusted into the old exhaust pipe that I replaced.  But when I show up at
the dealer, they've got a completely different looking pipe.  I had him
go through the parts computer again and he insists that that's all he can
find, but that the part numbers have been superceded a few times so maybe
the system's changed somewhat.  This is a 92 Sentra SE-R.

The pipe on my car now runs from the exhaust up diagonally towards the
drivers side, then has a long bend in the tubing, finally hooking up with
a 1" rubber hose more or less directly above where it started.

The tube the dealer provided me with is mostly straight, with a few small
bends (and matches the picture on the parts computer screen).  It does not
have an end suitable for a rubber hose, instead it is welded to a machined
steel piece that looks like it should bolt on to the engine.

Does anyone know what's going on here?  Was there some sort of major
redesign?  Is the parts computer wrong?  The parts guys at this dealer are
definitely not idiots.

Eric
http://www.sisuracing.com/