S3 cams in GTI-R DET

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:19:32 -0500

> Somewhere I seem to remember reading that the S3
> style JWT cams will not work
> in a GTI-R DET because of the solid lifters. Anyone
> know for sure if this is
> the case or not?

***Correct. The cams will fit, but the ramp angles are
a lot different for the solid lifter cams vs. the
hydraulic lifter cams.  When you put stock GTi-R cams
in a hydraulic lifter head, the idle is *very* lumpy.
This is because the gentle acceleration ramps of the
soild lifter cams increase the effective duration when
used in an HLA head.

I am not sure of what would happen if you did it the
other way around, though. The HLA cams in a solid
lifter head might yield a very short duration cam.

JWT does make an S3 version for the soild lifter head
if you are interested.

=====
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL