FW: [racing] Fw: Summit Point News

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:04:40 -0500

This just in from the Porsche racing list.  I know many of you on the east
coast race or attend DE events at Summit Point  Wish I were close enough to
attend.  Sounds like a great facility.  Y'all are *so* lucky.  You have Summit
Point *and* VIR.

George Roffe

Forwarded message follows:

MessageMessageFor those of you on the East Coast (and more specifically,
Mid-Atlantic), here's some news about the upcoming new (3rd) track at the
Summit Point facility.  The most interesting is the 100% accurate copy of
the famous Karussell Corner at Germany's Nurburgring.

I know that the list doesn't allow images so I can't post the track diagram.
I have it if you are interested.  Please email me directly.

Breakout at Summit Point, Coming Fall 2002

by William H Scott, President, BSR

After an arduous two and one-half year struggle getting approval to expand
the facility and a near-fatal bout with cancer, the Jefferson County
Planning commission granted the expansion of the complex you all know as
Summit Point Raceway. It consists of a new track (Shenandoah Circuit), a
condominium-type warehouse to store and work on race cars (Gasoline Alley),
and a spartan motel (Quarters) to house student, competitors and workers.
The first two will be built now and the Quarters in a couple years.

The Shenandoah Circuit. How long have we waited to this? The first new track
designed to dish out multiple challenges to today's super handling street
cars on DOT spec rubber, stickier than pure race car rubber a decade ago.
The challenge is also thrown out to drivers because he who masters the
Shenandoah walks away from lesser talent in stronger cars. What some
examples? Consider . On normal highways, signs warning of steep down or up
grades say, "Warning 6.8 or 7.7% Grade." Well, the east side of the
Shenandoah sports four areas where the down or up grade is 9.0 to 13.1%!
Look at Turn 4c. (Note: track map shown in print publication.) The apex is
just where your car falls off at 13.3% so if you miss any 4c element, you're
likely to arrive on track right at the bottom of the hill with the
subsequent loss of Turns 5, 6 and 7.

Turns 13a and 13b. At the apex of 13b is a stream bed, thus the turn trends
down to the apex and up thereafter. Camber of the turn? Negative 1 degree!
Turn 8 is the famous Karussell Corner at Germany's Nurburgring. My wife
Barbara and I went to Germany this past November and by prior arrangement
mapped the Karussell completely. So, here it is, the only other Karussell in
the world, replete with its 20-degree bowl all the way around.

Although I could go on and on about the geometry of the circuit, there are
some additional areas to mention now.

Paddock. The paddock is large and contains a number of features for BSR
schools. Its space for racers is far more organized than Summit Point's
(which isn't saying very much). It is designed to hold 350 cars and crew,
with electric hookups for most. The skid pad and wet track training areas
are for BSR use, as is the skills development surface in the upper portion
of the paddock. Paddock parking for racers is in the lower paddock area.
Most spaces will be 15'x40' per car, clearly marked and enough for the
trailer, racer and one car; large rigs go in the lower most area. Every area
will have electrical hookups at its back. Concessions will be kiosk-type
with vending machines and microwave ovens to heat hamburgers and other warm
ready-to-eat items. The kiosk and restrooms are located on a small hill
which will be kept shaded with trees and in grass.

The Cave. Just below pit road is a lovely shaded area under a row of ancient
sycamore trees at the end of which is located a cave large enough to walk
into. This spectacular setting will be a meeting place for the Saturday
night beer party and other events, including dinners and end-of-session
social events. We'll build a deck and part of the area will be a covered
area (like the apple barn) for the Jefferson 500 and other events.

Spectator/Track Interior. All spectating will be at "E," up on the ridge, in
grandstands. From that vantage point, 20 to 50 feet above the track, the
spectator can see almost the entire circuit. It will be a fine view since
80% of the area will be cleared and in grass except for a few large trees.
The view by the spectator will be like looking down on a golf course or a
modern F1 track where the entire track is visible. Spectators can cross the
bridge and walk down to the pits to see the cars. Otherwise, there will be
no spectating except from the grandstands.

Gasoline Alley. Now this is going to be fun. Gasoline Alley gets its name
from the garages at Indy where all the teams are side-by-side for the whole
month of May. Summit Point's Gasoline Alley will be a 610-foot long building
with 48 750 sq. ft. condominium shop spaces. Of note, units can be ordered
initially as multiples of the basic shop (i.e., 1,500, 3,000, etc.); each
unit has an outside storage area for storage of two cars and rigs; the
concrete floor of each unit is reinforced for the installation of a lift;
entry and exit is through a remote control gate onto the Summit Point Road;
and rent is $450/month except for those who sign up before June 1, 2002. For
those early birds (in advance of the beginning of construction) rent is
$395/month for the first two years.

The Shenandoah Circuit is real, it's going to happen, and it's the best
modern road circuit built to date anywhere. It pushes the design envelope,
specifically challenges modern suspension designs and rubber, and permits
the competent driver to (like cream) rise to the top. Additionally, the site
will be golf-course handsome, with the 19th hole social focus at the cave
and sycamores.