FW: [racing] Bob Akin

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:47:33 -0500

I just read this on the Porsche racing list:

>I was just told that Bob past away last night as a result of his accident at
>Road Atlanta last week.

Bob was driving a Nissan IMSA GTP car as part of the Walter Mitty Challenge at
the time of the accident.

For those who don't know of him, Bob had a long racing career, driving in the
50s and 60s, then retiring to run his business and race vintage cars.  In the
80s he returned to a professional racing career driving Porsche 935s and 962s
in IMSA.  I even have a photo of his Coca-Cola sponsored 962 on my web site in
the photo gallery.

Another passing in the news...

I read on the Autosport web site today that Rob Walker has also passed away.

Rob was the last of the great independent F1 team owners.  Rob had a fair
degree of success with his team in the 50s and 60s with Sir Stirling Moss
racing his cars.  Over the last 20 or so years, readers of Road & Track would
know of him as a result of his F1 coverage for that magazine as well as his
annual driver review.

Too much bad news for one day.

George Roffe