New guy needs turbo advice/info

Josh Douglas yjosh@yahoo.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:55:15 -0500

Hi all-

This is also posted on SR20deforum, but the server is
down...

I recently purchased a 91 SE-R from original owner
with 120,000 miles. Before I begin mods, I'm trying to
plan ahead. I've been scanning SER.net, sr20deforum,
and this list for over a month. It appears to me that
I may be better off going turbo than bolt ons, but my
turbo knowledge is limited. Ideally, I'd like to get
in the low 13's (or maybe high 12's?) on street tires
and still be a RELIABLE daily driver on 93 octane pump
gas. I'd like to do this for $1500 or so if possible.

Here are I few of my thoughts/questions that I would
appreciate your thoughts on. I know some of this is
repetative old hat for you all, but I would truly
appreciate the help:

1. Are my goals at all reasonable for my price range?

2. Are there any good spots where an overview of turbo
options/info exists that I might want to check out?

2. I know I can buy a DET and swap it in.
     -Am I correct in understanding that no US
 nissan came with a DET?
     -Which cars (Japan or US market) came with a
 DET and which years? Are there differences
between the various models? (compression
ratio, horsepower, intake, turbo, etc.)       Which is
most desirable?

3. I could swap the turbo portion of a DET onto my
stock DE. Is this correct?
     -Assuming this is correct, This would provide
  more potential horsepower than simply
swapping the entire DET motor because my DE       has
a higher compression ratio, correct?

4. I have heard of the F-max kit but think it is out
of my price range. Are there any other kits within my
range?

5. Are there any other common setups that people are
piecing together from junkyard/aftermarket for this
pricerange?

6. I would really appreciate a nice list of everything
that is involved in a turbo conversion...hoses,
guages, manifold, sensors, etc.

Once again, I really appreciate anyone who can take
the time to give their input.

Thanks,

Josh
91 se-r