Emergency brake [was Re: Roll problem]

Lawrence Weeks dev@anabasis.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:47:46 -0500

Once upon a time (Wed Apr 24), geo3@earthlink.net wrote:
> Our Fearless Leader wrote:

>>> I never understood why some call the parking brake an ebrake.

>> Because that is what it is...

> While folks may use it as such, that is not the intent of the
> parking brake.

You know, I am shocked and dismayed. I just did some research in the
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Indeed, it is officially called
a parking brake. And indeed, no part of the federal requirements are
that it be able to stop the vehicle in an emergency! I, of course,
will not concede that I was wrong, but rather will express my shock
and dismay at the gross deficiency of the regulations. :-)

I will point out though that "each vehicle shall be equipped with
a parking brake system of a friction type with solely mechanical
means to retain engagement." (USC 49.571.135.5.2) So if your parking
brake doesn't work without fluid in the system, it is in violation
of the law!

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks      "Audaces fortuna juvat."      dev@anabasis.net