First Question

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:29:52 -0500

--- svanhook5@comcast.net wrote:
I was
> thinking about getting the erl Aquamist system. It
> will lower my intake
> temps by about 70-90 degrees!!!!WoW!!
> Apparently they stop detonation for quite a while.
> With the colder intake
> temp I should automatically get around 10 extra hp
> Plus it allows me to
> increase boost to about 14 with no
> repercutions(meaning detonation) Also the
> system supposedly helps clean the valves. Mike
> Kojima says that it is like
> running race gas all the time.

Actualy I have found that it lowers the intake temp
from 15-40 degrees depending a lot on the condtions
and the size of the nozzle used, not 70-90 degrees.

The water reduces the likelyhood of detonation by
damping combustion, not so much by intake cooling.

Water is not exactly like race gas.  Running water
with pump gas can allow simular boost levels as a mild
race gas, like 100 ocatne, but will create less power
than race gas because it reduces combuation temp, to
the typical order of 10-20 hp depending on jetting.

However with tuning, water can give 20-40 more hp than
just plain pump gas.

Because it reduces combustion temps so well, water
injection is what I attribute to the rock solid
reliabilty of all of the turbo SE-R's that I helped
tune.  So far not a single turbo car that I have
worked has blown up, even though they all make
significant power, well into the 300's with stock
engines.

Mike