axle - new axles or new boots/repacked joints?

ratteber@speedfactory.net ratteber@speedfactory.net
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:54:17 -0500

David said:
-will I be OK putting on new boots (the
good kind, not the kind that 'sew up')
or should I get rebuilt axles with new
joints (e.g. from raxles)?

I'd go with Raxles with the lifetime guarantee on the whole axle.
Shipped to your door. That is if you plan to keep the car more than
three years. Otherwise, drive it. If you don't hear noises with the
steering wheel turned most of the way left or right, just buy some boots
and replace them.

I recently bought inner boots from Pep Boys. Putting the clamp on the
boot, the type that bends back, makes you wonder if it will be tight
enough.

And, don't forget to "burp" the boot. I meant to, per the instructions,
and forgot. As the air heated up in the boot, it forced grease out,
which slung in a circle (yuck!). It has since equalized and is fine.

Ron Atteberry
92 Classic
Lilburn, GA