Please Help with tranny fluid and filler plug

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:14:05 -0500

Humberto Gonzalez wrote:

> >what gear oil you guys recommend for my 92 classic? I am running >redline
> >and I am not satisfied with it.

> Jon,
> I've been using Redline MTL for just over a year now and I LOVE IT! Shifting
> was so much easier afterwards. I too had my tranny switches leak almost
> immediately after I filled it with MTL. Initially, I also tried to seal the

Just FYI - MTL (according to Redline product info) is:

A 75W/80W GL-4 gear oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) designed for use
in manual transmissions and transaxles. Provides excellent protection of gears
and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient
of friction, allowing easier shifting.

They further elucidate:

Red Line MTL is classified as a 75W/80W gear lubricant satisfying the API
Service requirements of GL-3 and GL-4. MTL also satisfies motor oil viscosities
SAE 5W/10W/30, and the viscosity requirements for ATFs. MT-90 is a 75W90 GL-4
and also satisfies motor oil viscosities SAE 10W/15W/40. The additive chemistry
used is non-corrosive, so even though they will provide GL-4 performance, they
will not corrode synchros or bushings. Because of its low corrosivity, Red Line
MTL and MT-90 could also be used in transmissions requiring GL-1 or GL-3
lubricants. Seal compatibility is designed to be similar to petroleum-based
lubricants.

The upshot, from what I've read:  MT90 is a direct replacement, conforming to
Nissan's spec's for our Manual trannies.  MTL seems to be just a little
thinner.  I was wondering if anyone has tried the shockproof gear oil - seems
like extra wear on the tranny's the last thing I want - but just curious.  The
shockproof stuff sounds like it might be good for those chasing down the 1/4
mile.

Also, someone sent me a message saying that their using motul 300 without any
problems ... go for it - It's API GL5, just so you know, and it's supposed to
chew our synchros, but I'm sure you know that already..

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.