Thanks for the tips on the front seal, Need a a/c compressor

Jay Stewart jay@nx2k.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:31:17 -0500

> So you don't need to worry about any coolant issues when
> Changing this out?  What kinda proceedue is it?

Negative.

Get yourself some good penetrating lube and liberally spray the clutch.
While the belt is still on, loosen the 10mm nut in the middle of the
compressor. Remove the AC belt. Get yourself 3 8x1.25mm bolts about 1.5"
long. Thread them into the three holes on the front of the clutch and it
will pop off (you will need to tighten them with a wrench). Once the
clutch is off, you need a 90 degree pair of snap ring pliers (sears),
remove the snap ring for the bearing. Now take a rubber mallet and spin
the pulley around while tapping it from behind, eventually it will pop
off. Use the snap rings again to remove the snap ring at the rear of the
bearing, then use a socket and hammer to drive it out. Drive the new
bearing in, and put everything back together in reverse order. Takes me
about45 minutes to do with the proper tools and knowing the tricks. I
usually scrounge my bearings from broken compressors. (Sr20DE folks are
good for these sorts of things!)

Anyway, that's how I do it. It's at least worth a shot before you trash
the compressor and drain/refill the AC system.

-Jay