Transmission Fluid Question

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:38:16 -0500

>Drain the fluid. That fluid will eat up your
>synchros in short order.

Actually the coastal stuff does not. I use it almost exclusively.

Rear end dope makes syncros look like this:

http://nx2k.dynip.com/thumbs/bad_tranny/index.htm

I don't have a pic online, but I do have several SR20DE trannies that use the
Coastal fluid exclusively that are fine and dandy. Now the Mobil stuff is read
end dope straight up and it will cause problems, but the COastal stuff
specifically I have over 100,000 miles on in SR20DE and GA16DE transmissions
and I know that it specifically doesn't cause problems. I wouldn't use it in a
high HP turbo car, but for a NA SR20DE street motor it is fine.

-Jay
93.5 G20 with 165,000 miles of rusted suspension bolts