Transmission Fluid Question

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:18:44 -0500

Jason Gould wrote:

Okay, I did my gear oil and used Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil - which is what
you use in a manual.

Cost, around 5 bux a qt, rated 75w-90, car shifts perfect from the moment I
dropped it in, the old gear oil was regular dead-dino stuff, and looked
decent, but I opted to be certain and switch it out.  Took me pretty near 4
quarts to change it ... maybe a little more, even.

Just FYI:  An automatic tranny is a basically bunch of fluid filled passages
that move pressuration around to shift your 'gears'.  Typically, although
not in all cases, an automatic tranny has no gears, it works on hydraulic
pressure.

To put hydralic fluid, which is what ATF basically is, into a manual
transmission *should* screw up your manual tranny in fairly short order.
They call the other stuff gear oil because it protects gears (as they mesh,
while their meshed, anytime their running ... and the amount you put in the
tranny is basically enough to bathe the lower 50-70% of the gears in the
gear oil, and well, that's not what ATF is designed for ... don't have the
ATF viscosity numbers off the top of my head, but I know it's not the same
as gear oil.

Anyway .. your owners manual for the car should mention some stuff about
that, and maybe even have a viscosity chart - if not I'm sure a search on
google will net you what your looking for.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.