Negative Camber by Slotting the Struts? AND Backwards ES bushing discovery

Benjamin Moses bmoses@purdue.edu
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:24:21 -0500

<<I heard that you can get camber on a 91 sentra se-r by slotting the
struts
instead of buying camber plates.
It sounds pretty simple. Anyone have advise on it, or know where to find
instructions?>>

Yes you can.  I've done this gain more positive camber on the left side
of my '92.  Why positive?  Because my car lowered (Hyperco/AGX) seemed
to have an extraordinary amount of camber on that side Vs the other and
I wanted to get them both closer to spec.  I slotted the top bolt hole
in the strut and left the bottom alone.  This has actually worked very
well and I slotted it way more than I needed.  You will find that a
little slotting down at the strut bolts goes A LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG Way for
producing camber changes.  Much more so that camber plates could give.
You could get stupid amounts of camber either way (+ or -) just
depending on which way you slot them.

I am currently working with an alignment shop to get my car back to spec
after having the car track very poorly due to a ES control arm donut
bushing I had installed BACKWARDS!!  DUH.  I felt like a retard when I
discovered that last night.  The car drove weird and pulled in weird
ways under acceleration, etc...  Anyway, I am having them set the camber
using ONLY the struts that I have already slotted for them.  This
particular is helping me out greatly.  I have had my car there three
times and he's only charged me once.  I will pay him again now that it
looks like my car will be able to be aligned right.

The only drawbacks I can think of from gaining camber in this way is the
fact that it might slip.  Mine hasn't yet though.  I think you'll be
alright as long as you don't slam into any curbs.

Finally, Your toe will be off if you adjust your camber.  Keep that in
mind.  If you give yourself negative camber you will also gain toe in
and the wheel be off centered towards the side you adjusted your camber
at I believe.  That's been my experience anyway

Good luck

Ben Moses
(first post in a LONG time)