Transmission problem, not fifth gear pop out... Something

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:11:21 -0500

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com wrote:

>What happens if you try to double clutch or just plain jam it into gear? >How
is the clutch? When it gets stuck, it is stuck while the car is moving, >or if
you stop (engine off) can you put it into gear OK? (Usually problems >like
this are clutch related.)

Well, I didn't actually drive it, but I did mess with the shifter while
driving.  I highly doubt it's clutch related.

It feels a bit like clutch gritch does, but it's felt in the shifter, not the
clutch.  You can feel some bind and vibration as you move it in and out of
gear.  I swear you can feel the gears/shafts turning.  It's kind of
disturbing.

Adam says if he doesn't use 5th, 1-4 operate normally with no troubles.  If he
uses 5th, 1-4 go to hell until it cools down.  Makes me thinke either some
clearances are off or something is moving around that shouldn't.  Perhaps the
monkeys who repalaced the case didn't shim it for proper end-play and it's
going goofy finally. <shrug>

George